snickfic: (monica rambeau)
[personal profile] snickfic
New things:
Black Widow #2 – Edmondson, Noto
This was fine? The art continues to be very pretty, but the plot was nothing special, and there was very little interesting character work with Natasha. Basically, she doesn't let the cat in, which is a metaphor for how she doesn't let people in – that's the extent of the character work in the entire issue. I think it'd help a lot if she had some recurring characters to bounce off of, but right now there's just Isaiah, who seems to be mostly plot device. Eh.

Mighty Avengers #5 – Ewing, Land
I continue to get a huge kick out of this book. In this issue, Luke Cage and Spider-Man engage in fisticuffs, and Jennifer Walters jumps in to save the day. And it's just so fun – the writing is tight, not a panel wasted, and there's a lot of humor and little fun moments. It's my favorite team book of the moment (yes, more than X-Men, alas).

(I think this may be the last we see of the Superior Spider-Man in this book? Especially since apparently Peter Parker comes back to us in April.)

X-Men – Wood, Dodson
Between the new antagonists and the new team members, I'm having trouble keeping track of everyone here, which may be why the plot feels so jumbled. It doesn't feel like most of them have been introduced properly (and after nine issues I still know nothing about Rachel Grey except that she's telepathic). I guess I kinda don't get what this book is doing right now, like at all.

Also, what is even happening to Psylocke's body on the cover? That is like 80% of what I hate about Dodson, right there. (The other 20% is cleavage.)

Old things:
Shadowland: Elektra – Wells, Rios
This gave some nice background about the Hand, helpful to this noob who assumed it was always as racist a narrative construct as shown in the Elektra movie. Not so! Mostly, though, this is notable for being GORGEOUS. Rios' style really suits Elektra, with all her deadly grace and her floaty costume (silly though it is).

Beta Ray Bill: Stormbreaker #1-6 – Berman/Oeming, Di Vito
Eh? On one hand, I'm discovering I really like Marvel's more 'cosmic' stuff, ie the stuff set IN SPACE. OTOH, this had too much deus ex machina for me, and the ending was bizarre, with Beta Ray Bill basically possessing a human corpse part-time? IDEK. I also kept expecting the flashback parts following other Korbinites to be going somewhere, but it NEVER DID. They were just for pathos, I guess??

All that said, I really liked how Galactus originally appears to the Korbinites as someone out of their own mythology; it makes his usual appearance as a Really Big Human more palatable if it's explained that that's just how he appears to us. Also I liked how Beta Ray Bill was specifically fighting alongside Sif in the battle of Ragnarok at the beginning, because apparently I have a lot of Bill/Sif shippy and/or friendshippy feelings. (I'm confused – is that when Asgard was destroyed and Tony Stark built Asgardia above Oklahoma?)

Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter #1-2 – Gillen, Kano
This is actually a 3-issue mini, but the third issue does not appear to be available ANYWHERE ONLINE. Nor does my library system have the trade the mini is collected in. Perhaps I will find a single issue somewhere, sometime.

Anyway, there seems a pretty big mood swing between Stormbreaker and this on Bill's part, and I didn't really get it. He's determined to kill Galactus for killing the Korbinites, even though Bill acknowledges that the meta-orb in Stormbreaker still exists somewhere. IDK. I wasn't sure what we were going for here. And then I didn't have the end, either, so this was basically a failure on all counts.

Date: 2014-02-06 03:07 am (UTC)
saturnofthemoon: (Black Widow)
From: [personal profile] saturnofthemoon
I'm not to thrilled with the new Black Widow series, either. I hope it's just up to a slow start. I feel really bad for the cat. :(


snickfic: (Default)

September 2017

345 6789

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags

Style Credit

Page generated Sep. 25th, 2017 03:01 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios