As Moves the Glacier - Frostbite, Keaton/Victoria, 100 words. A sensation-play drabble, mostly for the purposes of getting the tag canonized.
Desert Flower - hockey RPF, Fleury, 100 words. A melancholy drabble (BUT NOT AS SAD AS FLOWER'S CONCUSSION ;__________;).
A Good Yarn is Hard to Find - hockey RPF, Granlund/Koivu, 1100 words. A very silly fic about Finns and sweaters that I wrote as a gift for fandomgiftbox.
As Lucky as Lucky Can Be - hockey RPF, Olli/Geno with background Sid/Geno, 4900 words. This is the sequel/companion piece to my Sid/Geno exchange fic from earlier this year. Someone mentioned they'd like to see more of Olli and Geno, and it just so happened I had already written several scenes from Olli's POV in order to kind of figure out where he was at. Somehow in September those scenes magically turned into a complete fic in the space of about three days. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I got to write Geno from a totally new perspective, because I've always paired him with other guys from the core before; I got to write Olli (<3); and I also got to show how Olli has no idea of most of what was going on in the original fic and doesn't care. Just dating Geno is quite enough for him to handle. :) :) :)
you touch my wires - hockey RPF, Olli/Tanger, 2400 words. A cyborg AU! This was for the flash exchange that happened last month. I'd been wanting to write this pairing, and then downjune mentioned she liked robot AUs, and suddenly it all came together. What two better guys than these two to angst about their bodies not performing as designed? :\
i feel love - Riverdale, Josie/Cheryl, 1500 words. Fake dating! This was for femslashex, and my recip described the relationship between these two as being almost political, which I found extremely inspiring. In the course of writing this fic I realized how freaking awesome Valerie is and how much I loved writing her.
So I'm watching the fourth one now, and wow, it is... very different. The whole look has changed. Ripley has changed dramatically, for obvious plot-related reasons. And boy howdy is the third one gross on the sexism/sexual harassment/sexual objectification scale. "Who do I have to fuck to get out of here"???? Look, Ripley's a different person in this one, but she did not need to be different in that way. Female characters can be harder and darker and more ambiguous WITHOUT EDGY PATRIARCHAL BARGAIN SHIT. And that one pan up the secondary female character's ass? For no reason at all? Ew ew ew. Thanks for nothing, Joss Whedon.
If it weren't for all that crap, though, I think the fourth one might actually be my favorite? Don't get me wrong, it's VERY STUPID, but it's more my kind of movie. Winona Ryder is freaking adorable, and I'm very into Ripley's new ambiguous vibe (and the reasons behind it).
( General likes and dislikes )
( The Scar – China Mieville )
( Uncanny X-Force )
( Kraken – China Mieville )
( Cuckoo Song – Frances Hardinge )
( Stranger Things )
Anyway, here is fic! A bunch of the fics in this list were ones I couldn't believe I hadn't recced before, like surely I had? But I hadn't?? But better late than never. And then there's some brand new stuff as well.
( Pens fic )
( Other team fic )
In ascending order by kudos
Better When Aged - I seem to have written Darla/Rupert Giles! I'd forgotten all about it. Apparently it was for bruttimabuoni, which suggests it might have been that one year I did Christmas drabbles? Anyway, it's set during the pilot and is awfully fun - I wouldn't mind seeing more of those two together.
A Wyndam-Pryce Tradition. So once upon a time an enterprising soul tried to start a Buffyverse kinkmeme. The problem was that nobody in Buffy fandom had any idea how kinkmemes worked. For example, someone prompted "Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, solo" and I wrote a fic about Wes on his first vampire hunt. (I'm also not sure most of us were self-aware enough to know what kinks where, although it's possible I'm projecting a lot there.) It's... fine? This might be the only time I have ever written Wes, come to think of it.
Abandon Hope (the Mary Quite Contrary mix). This is the one and only remix I've ever written, and it was like PULLING. TEETH. Hence why I have never written another. But if you fancy a character study of Drusilla, trippy dark queen of my heart, via drabbles, this fic is here for you. I think it turned out rather well, considering how torturous it was to write. The drabble about Dawn is my favorite. I also like the soul/wineskin parallels. One of the reasons I always enjoyed writing Dru was how I could use Christian language and metaphors with her.
Two Suckers in an Icebox - the only abandoned WIP I have in namespace. It's Faith/Giles in a post-apocalyptic world that I also wrote about in Oz, After the Apocalypse, and I could never figure out where it needed to go, alas.
Lacking. This is actually my FIRST EVER Buffy fic which I wrote almost immediately after seeing 5.07 Fool for Love. Quite frankly it's the kind of plotless meandering thing people mean when they say they don't like character studies, but I was tickled to rediscover it anyway, because: first fic. :')
Bonus: a sonnet by Spike, circa S6, which doesn't technically have enough words to appear but otherwise qualifies. I am to this day, eight years later, super freaking proud of this sonnet.
( General likes/dislikes )
( MCU / Guardians of the Galaxy – fic, art )
( Marvel 616 - fic )
( Stranger Things – fic, art )
( Frostbite (Comic) – fic, art )
* I just found out that Kraglin, the guy from Yondu's ship, is director James Gunn's brother. This was very weird to realize. And he looks so normal on his wikipedia page! And kind of cute!
* It took me so long to find porn fic that actually served its intended purpose for me. When I finally found some, I was like, "Oh, is this why people write so much porn?!" It was such a novel experience. But the chances of me just stumbling across my kinks in the wild are next to nil, so in the meantime I still read around the edges of a lot of PWPs, hoping for feelings.
* I don't know if this is going to make any sense, but: I think Stephen King tricked me into reading literary fiction. His books are so much closer to literary fiction (as a marketing genre) than anything else I regularly read. The care he takes with characters and with the details of everyday life feels nearer in spirit to the kind of stuff I used to read in lit class than it does to the SF or fantasy or historicals or even other horror-type work that I read. It's just that most people don't notice because he puts monsters in them - monsters which he isn't actually particularly good at, in my opinion. And his worldbuilding is paper-thin. But his characters, my gosh.
* Do people still like to hear about comics? I've read a ton of Image/Dark Horse/other indy comics lately, but IDK if anyone cares anymore.
* Like a Clown - Hockey RPF, a 700-word Sid/Olli timestampto that WIP I keep talking about.
* Overemotional - GotG, Mantis/Gamora, touching and not touching
* next - GotG, Gamora/Carina (from the first movie), what to do after you're free
And most importantly, my S/G exchange fic, which is first and foremost about Sid/Geno but also Sid/Geno/Olli poly and Sid&Flower. There's a lot of feels. Possibly it's very sappy.
Until the Wind Changes (6785 words) by Snickfic
Fandom: Hockey RPF
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Sidney Crosby/Evgeni Malkin, Olli Maatta/Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby & Marc-Andre Fleury
Characters: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury, Olli Maatta
Additional Tags: Polyamory, Polyamory Negotiations, Team Feels, Established Relationship, 2016-2017 NHL Season, Dirty Talk, Fantasizing
Just as Geno rounded the corner boards, Olli teased the puck off his stick and wristed it to the net. It pinged off the post, and Geno laughed outright, a belly laugh full of delight. Sid eyed Olli, curious to see if Olli recognized the sound for what it was. The way his cheeks were pinking, Sid thought he probably did.
IDK, I'm just in this for the ladies that are supposedly showing up.
So! FemslashEx and Yuletide. I have my FemslashEx letter mostly written, and I'm contemplating Yuletide noms. :D :D :D
Stuff I received (All of it great, I AM SO HAPPY, you should read all of them)
Vulture - Riverdale, Veronica/Cheryl flirting
Arachnoid - Riverdale, Jughead+Cheryl, creepy belongings
Wuthering Heights - Riverdale, Cheryl/various, creepy dead brother!
Infinity - MCU, Gamora/Natasha, foreplay
Negotiated Peace - GotG, Nebula/Gamora, Nebula's Very Complicated Sisterly Feelings
Domestic Arboriculture - GotG, Drax+Groot, what to get for the groot who has nothing
Passing the Torch - Hockey RPF, Fleury/Murray, very sad fucking ;_;
Stir to Combine - Hockey RPF, Dumoulin/Guentzel, kitchen foreplay
Stuff I wrote
no wind, no rain - GotG, Peter's terrible no good very bad
ships passing - GotG, Gamora+Nebula, rescue
plant life - GotG, Groot and his planet
out there, down here - GotG, Drax and his planet (drabble series)
feeling our way - GotG, Mantis/Drax, sensitive nipples
a change in the air - Thor movies, Thor/Loki, oviposition for the greater good
surprise - Hockey RPF, Hagelin/Hornqvist, happy morning after
Some things I particularly loved this time:
( spoilers, also canon notes )
If you've got fic recs for either of those, btw, I'm all years. (Haven't seen AoU, Civil War, Agents of Shield, or the Netflix shows, though.)
Next up: finding out if Gallavants (not Disney) is as weird as I remember. Weirder, probably. The 80s, man.
(and I said what about) breakfast at tiffany's by somethingdifferent
Jughead/Veronica, 8k. This is just great - the ongoing theme of his book difficulties (including the lack of ongoing themes!), him introducing Veronica to movies, the snark, the eventual big reveal. They both sound so in-character. I love it.
you make me feel like I am home again by izzybusiness
Jughead/Veronica, 4.5k. Sweet and gentle and easy, which is saying something, considering how many edges they both have.
While the Rhythm of the Rain Keeps Time by FreshBrains
Betty/Veronica, 2k. If you wanted steamy atmospheric sex in the rain, then this is the fic for you.
Nothing Realistic by Shippershape
Jughead/Betty, 5k. The author disregards the canon relationship to go with a very sweet slow burn, and I am here for it.
long live the car crash hearts by izzybusiness
Jughead/Jason, 5k. My heart belongs with crack ships, apparently. I would never have thought this one up, but this fic is great: melancholy and full of that good teenage angst.
The Story Inverted by nimmieamee
Jughead/Cheryl, 12k. Misery loves company, and nobody's life is more more miserable than Jughead's. Unless you count Cheryl Blossom's. This seemed like the most unlikely ship, but the fic completely sold me on it. They're both so tragic in their own ways, and they both sound so completely themselves in this. Also the sex is hot.
Not Since Bonnie & Clyde by Lang
Alice/FP, 10k. This is everything I never knew I wanted?? It's a/b/o with alpha!Alice and omega!FP, and it's kind of a character study of Alice, HBIC who still can't quite keep life under her control for all that. But also it's got soapy twists to rival canon and hot mess of a ship that speaks to all my deepest needs. (Head's up that the dubcon is EXTREMELY dubious, so proceed with caution.)
Anyway, this documentary is SO FULL OF GOODIES.
- He talks to his sticks! If things aren't going well, he says you have to tell the stick to score.
- He goes on for quite a while about how he doesn't like people manhandling his stick. /cough
- His house in Pittsburgh is cool. He has a POND. I am definitely working that into a fic somewhere.
- There was a lot of neat stuff about his pre-game routine, cutting and taping his sticks, that kind of thing. I hadn't seen some of that stuff in that much detail before.
- His wife Anna calls him 'Tiger,' possibly because of his sign in the Chinese astrological calendar. She told him her sign was a mouse, so he started calling her Jerry.
- A lot of stuff about how private he is, and how he doesn't go out much and spends most of his off time at home.
- Shots of the players' parking and the door they use to get in, via keycard
- Geno talking about how shy and lonely and awkward he felt the first couple of years in Pittsburgh, because of the language barrier
- Geno talking about how serious concussions are, and how he thinks the real issue is people coming back from them too soon. I am not at all used to seeing the average hockey player talking frankly about this stuff.
- He used to cry after every game he lost, whether it was an important one or not.
- He had some stuff to say about how important he feels sports are for unifying a country. Not sure I agree with him, but it's certainly the most philosophical I've ever heard a hockey player get about it.